USA: Macro, Tassi & Fed

Imagine the Bailouts Are Working

What if, after all that panting over Washington’s bailout of the financial system, we learned that it actually worked?
And what if, after all that vitriol over the government’s risking hundreds of billions of dollars to rescue Wall Street from disaster, it turned out that taxpayers might actually lose nothing, or even make a profit?

Could it be? Really?

Every couple of months the Treasury Department takes a moment to strategically leak some good news about the bailouts. It happened again on Monday, when a Treasury official told The Wall Street Journal that America’s coffers would be only $89 billion lighter after all accounts were settled from the rescues, down from an earlier estimate of $250 billion.

It’s enough to make us all feel rich, isn’t it?

Inside the Obama administration, there are whispers of even greater optimism, with some officials suggesting that if the economic recovery continues apace, the bailout program could eventually turn from red to black.

That may seem far-fetched to anyone who remembers the dire predictions about banks like Citigroup, but the numbers tell a different story. The government’s $45 billion investment in Citigroup alone is on track to make a profit of nearly $11 billion, plus $8 billion or so in interest and other fees.

People inside the administration no longer refer to Citigroup as the “Death Star”; now it is a “profit center.”

Of course, we’re still expected to lose $48 billion on the government’s rescue of the American International Group. But two people close to the board suggested to me that as the company recalculates the value of assets in its portfolio that were once considered “toxic,” the government could actually claw its way back to even on that investment, if it holds on to its stake long enough.

A year ago, by the way, these same people told me they expected the government to take a “$100 billion bath” on its investment in A.I.G.

And then there are the banks that have settled up with Uncle Sam, like Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley and Bank of America. We’ve gotten all our money back from them, along with several billion dollars in interest.

Of course, there’s a small problem with all this happy Washington math: it doesn’t take into account the piles of cash we’re likely to lose on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, the huge mortgage finance companies. The Congressional Budget Office estimates that figure to be about $320 billion. That would wipe away any gains made elsewhere.

The overall math also doesn’t account for the more than $1 trillion the Federal Reserve pumped into the system through loans to Wall Street that were virtually interest-free.

But if you can put that aside for a moment — and I know that’s difficult to do — do any of these numbers persuade you, the skeptical public, that we might one day declare the bailouts a victory? After all, at this point in the recovery, a fair observer could be forgiven for thinking we were, at minimum, saved from an economic nuclear winter. Newsweek declared on its cover this week that “America’s Back.”

None of this math is likely to lead the American public to declare Mission Accomplished. Outside of Wall Street and Washington, the numbers will never look good enough, because to most people it’s not about justifying the bailout but about avoiding another financial mess in the future. It’s about moral hazard. It’s about right and wrong.

You may recall that during the most perilous months of 2008 and early 2009, there was a vigorous debate about how the government should fix the financial system. Some economists, including Nouriel Roubini of New York University and The Times’s own Paul Krugman, declared that we should follow the example of the Swedes by nationalizing the entire banking system.

They argued that Wall Street was occupied by the walking dead, and that no matter how much money we threw at the banks, they would eventually topple the system all over again and cause a domino effect worldwide.

So were they wrong after all?

Joseph E. Stiglitz, the Nobel-winning economist who was among the doomsayers, still isn’t willing to declare victory, and he probably never will.

“I think this is disingenuous and a real attempt to distract people,” Mr. Stiglitz, the author of “Freefall: America, Free Markets, and the Sinking of the World Economy,” said of the latest claims.

Mr. Stiglitz, who has made a career of seeing every glass as half-empty, said we’re looking at the numbers wrong. Even if we get our money back, he says, that doesn’t tell the full story. To calculate the real cost, he insists, we need to add in the lost interest on the money spent.

“Did we get back anything commensurate with the risk?” he asked almost rhetorically, before answering his own question. “Clearly the answer is no.”

Even at this feel-good moment, Mr. Stiglitz refuses to share in the love fest. Like many of us, he is still upset that the government didn’t attach more strings to the bailouts. He also warns of the moral hazard that was created when the government made clear that it wouldn’t let certain big banks fail. This, he says, will inevitably encourage more recklessness on Wall Street.

The next and perhaps final question is whether the government should hold on to its investments in companies like Citigroup rather than sell them off right away.

The Treasury has signaled that it plans to wind down its Citigroup stake. But what if Citigroup’s shares continue to rise, and the government misses out on an even bigger gain? Had the government not let Goldman Sachs and JPMorgan Chase pay their bailouts so early, taxpayers would have made out with even more money.

But as the old Wall Street disclaimer goes, past performance is no guarantee of future results. I suspect that most taxpayers would be happy to take the advice of Kenny Rogers and quit now, while there are still chips to count.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/13/business/13sorkin.html

Continuo a credere che gli Usa siano in deflazione benche in asia soffino venti inflattivi che saranno mitigati dai tassi in rialzo

Sulla Cina sono d'accordo, ma quali sono gli indizi che ti portano a uno scenario deflattivo negli USA? Il consumer price index ieri ha riportato un +2,4% annuo :mmmm:

Interessante tenendo conto della legenda sui ratio http://bankimplode.com/list/troubledbanks.htm

Chi lo ha scritto questo articolo? Mi sembra un po' polemico :mmmm:

Sarà che la vedo troppo dalla parte degli azionisti e da questa prospettiva in Italia siamo messi molto peggio..

Dire poi che il PIL negli USA è salito perchè le banche USA fanno finanza speculativa mi sembra altamente inaccurato..

Dire poi che il PIL negli USA è salito perchè le banche USA fanno finanza speculativa mi sembra altamente inaccurato..

uhm...discutiamone...

se prendi 8k di JPM la sezione relativa ai Net Income....

3,326 Totale

2,471 Investment Bank +30% rispetto l'ultimo quarter...solo questa cifra è il 75% del totale... :angry:

le altre sono poco superiori al quarter passato, alcune addirittura in calo...

epuriamo il PIL nelle componenti finanziarie e non finanziare e vediamo cosa viene fuori... :mmmm:

uhm...discutiamone...

se prendi 8k di JPM la sezione relativa ai Net Income....

3,326 Totale

2,471 Investment Bank +30% rispetto l'ultimo quarter...solo questa cifra è il 75% del totale... :angry:

le altre sono poco superiori al quarter passato, alcune addirittura in calo...

epuriamo il PIL nelle componenti finanziarie e non finanziare e vediamo cosa viene fuori... :mmmm:

Il PIL USA 2009 si aggira sui 14'400 miliardi di dollari (fonte fondo monetario internazionale). Ammettiamo che i profitti delle banche siano 100 miliardi (con stime molto larghe). Troviamo un'impatto sul totale dello 0,69%

Per questo ho l'impressione che ci ha scritto l'articolo non era un asso in macroeconomia... Correggetemi se sbaglio

Il PIL USA 2009 si aggira sui 14'400 miliardi di dollari (fonte fondo monetario internazionale). Ammettiamo che i profitti delle banche siano 100 miliardi (con stime molto larghe). Troviamo un'impatto sul totale dello 0,69%

Per questo ho l'impressione che ci ha scritto l'articolo non era un asso in macroeconomia... Correggetemi se sbaglio

beh non saprei darti una percentuale sul PIL...ma è quantomeno innegabile che l'economia sia molto "finanziarizzata", il che ha pochi impatti sul mondo reale...

poi se vogliamo dirla tutta, è facile fare 3 billion di net income quando il valore degli asset lo decide JPM...con tutta questa liquidità perchè non allargoni i cordoni del credito alle imprese?!?!?!? :confused::confused:

Le risposte potrebbero essere molteplici:
1) le revenues sono fallaci...
2) jpm è sottocapitalizzata...
3) non convenie prestare i soldi ad un tasso del 5% quando posso operare in leva 20000 su futures, cds, valute, oil, kriptonite e guadagnare miliardi di dollari facendoseli prestare dalla FED allo 0,00000013%....

beh non saprei darti una percentuale sul PIL...ma è quantomeno innegabile che l'economia sia molto "finanziarizzata", il che ha pochi impatti sul mondo reale...

Che c'è stato uno sviluppo della finanza in un certo qual modo scollegata dall'economia reale in senso spicciolo non c'è dubbio. Però dire che il PIL USA è cresciuto nell'ultimo anno a causa delle speculazioni delle banche mi sembra altamente inaccurato (come evidenziato dai dati).

poi se vogliamo dirla tutta, è facile fare 3 billion di net income quando il valore degli asset lo decide JPM...con tutta questa liquidità perchè non allargoni i cordoni del credito alle imprese?!?!?!? :confused::confused:

Io parto dai bilanci, dovrebbero essere i revisori contabili che assicurano le veridicità delle poste.

Per quanto riguarda il credito alle imprese, è un problema che ha due facce. Qui c'è gente che vorrebbe che le banche prestassero più denaro e che allo stesso tempo mantenessero requisiti patrimoniali alti per essere più affidabili. Ciò è impossibile, equivale ad avere la botte piena a la moglie ubriaca. Cmq i prestiti sono in aumento almeno per quanto riguarda JPM.

Sulla critica alla FED ti do' ragione, secondo me i problemi si trovano sempre a monte e la FED è a monte di tutta la catena del credito. Vedremo se la riforma in programma cambierà qualcosa, anche perchè se non mettono dei paletti è facile tornare allo status pre-crisi, solo con qualche player in meno e banche principali ancora più potenti di prima.

GE: 7,000 tax returns, $0 U.S. tax bill

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- General Electric filed more than 7,000 income tax returns in hundreds of global jurisdictions last year, but when push came to shove, the company owed the U.S. government a whopping bill of $0.

How'd it pull off that trick? By losing lots of money.

GE had plenty of earnings last year -- just not in the United States. For tax purposes, the company's U.S. operations lost $408 million, while its international businesses netted a $10.8 billion profit.

That left GE (GE, Fortune 500) with no U.S. profit left for Uncle Sam to tax. Corporations typically face a 35% federal income tax on their earnings. Thanks to its deductions and adjustments, GE reported an actual U.S. federal income tax rate of negative 10.5%. It got to add a "tax benefit" of $1.1 billion back into its reported earnings.

"This is the first time in at least decades that GE has reported negative U.S. pretax income and it reflects the worst economy since the Great Depression," Anne Eisele, GE's director of financial communications, said via e-mail.

But what about the $10.8 billion profit overseas? GE is "indefinitely" deferring income tax payments on those profits, Eisele said.

It may seem like accounting magic, but it's completely legit.

GE isn't the only "Top 5" company on this year's Fortune 500 list that owed no income taxes. Bank of America (BAC, Fortune 500), which suffered major losses in 2009, included a tax benefit of $1.9 billion in its annual profit.

"That's one way of escaping taxes," said Scott Hodge, president of the Tax Foundation. "Companies get to deduct their losses, so if there's no earnings, then they pay no income tax."

But GE isn't exactly escaping all tax-related pain: The company paid almost $23 billion in taxes to governments around the world from 2000 to 2009, Eisele said.

Plus, paying the accountants to crank out 7,000 tax returns can't be cheap.

And then there's all the lawyers needed to defend those returns. GE filed tax paperwork in more than 250 jurisdictions around the world last year. "We are under examination or engaged in tax litigation in many of these jurisdictions," the company dryly notes in its annual report.

GE may not owe the IRS, but it still has to file -- and its filings are epic.

In 2006, as the IRS ramped up its corporate e-filing program, the tax agency actually issued a celebratory press release when it processed GE's tax return. On paper, the return -- the nation's largest -- would have totaled a massive 24,000 pages. But instead, the IRS was able to upload the 237 MB document in under an hour.

Reading it, though, is apparently taking a bit longer. The IRS is currently auditing GE's tax returns for 2003-2007.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/04/16/news/companies/ge_7000_tax_returns/index.htm

Sulla Cina sono d'accordo, ma quali sono gli indizi che ti portano a uno scenario deflattivo negli USA? Il consumer price index ieri ha riportato un +2,4% annuo :mmmm:

Ciao Davide :), scusa del ritardo non avevo letto e per ora quando posso mi godo la primavera, stanotte grande pescata ed oggi bagno di sole ;), andiamo a noi :)

Ti consiglio di leggere il blog della federal reserve di Atlanta http://macroblog.typepad.com/ loro sanno spiegare meglio di me anche se i grafici sono molto molto istruttivi

Disinflation( hanno paura di pronunciare deflazione ;)): Is it all housing? We think not—and we're not alone

Yesterday, the Federal Open Market Committee minutes contained this observation:

"While the ongoing decline in the implicit rental cost for owner-occupied housing was weighing on core inflation, a number of participants observed that the moderation in price changes was widespread across many categories of spending. This moderation was evident in the appreciable slowing of inflation measures such as trimmed means and medians, which exclude the most extreme price movements in each period."

6a00d8341c834f53ef01347fb73962970c-800wi

6a00d8341c834f53ef01347fb73a24970c-800wi

------------

Riguardo invece al pil e le banche hai ragione in senso stretto ma non dimenticare che lo sostengono, abbiamo visto cosa accade quando il sistema finanziario va in crisi.....

Vado a cucinare il pesce :D , saluti ;)

Ciao Davide :)

Ti consiglio di leggere il blog della federal reserve di Atlanta http://macroblog.typepad.com/ loro sanno spiegare meglio di me anche se i grafici sono molto molto istruttivi

Disinflation( hanno paura di pronunciare deflazione ;)): Is it all housing? We think not—and we're not alone

Yesterday, the Federal Open Market Committee minutes contained this observation:

"While the ongoing decline in the implicit rental cost for owner-occupied housing was weighing on core inflation, a number of participants observed that the moderation in price changes was widespread across many categories of spending. This moderation was evident in the appreciable slowing of inflation measures such as trimmed means and medians, which exclude the most extreme price movements in each period."

Ti ringrazio Luciano:)

Dall'ala accademica monetarista l'inflazione è il mio nemico numero 1, a volte sono troppo rigido e non mi rendo conto che spesso la realtà è diversa da quello che si studia sui libri..:wall:

E' che vedo un grande conflitto di interessa fra FED e Banche, il mercato da un certo tasso e quando lo spread con quello che fa la FED si allarga le banche ci guadagnano (grosso spread risk-free) e i cittadini ci perdono nel lungo periodo perchè gli va a deteriorare la carta che hanno in mano..inflazionando le commodities che tirano su i costi da cima a monte..

Non ci far caso se a volte sono troppo Hawkish! :D

hawk-and-dove.JPG

EURO SCIVOLA SOTTO 1,34 USD. COLPA DELLA TRAGEDIA GRECA DOPO DATI DEFICIT

di WSI-AGI

L'euro scivola sotto quota 1,34 dollari dopo la diffusione dei dati Eurostat sulla Grecia che hanno rilevato nel 2009 un deficit pari al 13,6% del Pil e che potrebbe aumentare. La moneta unica passa di mano al momento a 1,3374 dollari.

Oggi Eurostat che ha pubblicato i dati su deficit e debiti dell'anno scorso degli Stati europei. La Grecia e' al secondo posto per rapporto deficit/Pil, dopo l'Irlanda (14,3%) ma Eurostat "esprime una riserva sulla qualita' dei dati dichiarati dalla Grecia".

Di fatto, il deficit 2009 della Grecia e' stato piu' elevato del previsto, attestandosi - secondo Eurostat - al 13,6% rispetto al 12,9% notificato a Bruxelles dal governo di Atene. Ma potrebbe ancora aumentare: per l'ufficio europeo di statistica, infatti, restano delle incertezze che potrebbero portare ad una revisione tra lo 0,3% e lo 0,5% del Pil.

Si intensificano così i timori sulla moneta unica che, secondo le voci provenienti dal mondo degli hedge fund , proprio a causa dei problemi interni alla comunità di Stati che sembrano non poter essere risolti nel breve periodo, sta vivendo una fase di debolezza a livello generalizzato e viene venduta con continuità.

----------

La fragilità di molti stati sovrani, dalla Grecia fino a UK, unita ad una forte debolezza economica saranno il catalizzatore dell'attesa correzione sugli indici

Vera mentalità europeista :rolleyes::rolleyes::mad:

---------

GRECIA: STAMPA TEDESCA, TAGLIARE LA CORDA DI SALVATAGGIO
(AGI) - Berlino, 26 apr. - Commenti sempre piu' spietati della stampa tedesca sull'ipotesi di un prestito Ue per salvare il governo greco dalla bancarotta. Il quotidiano progressista berlinese 'Tagesspiegel' scrive che la Germania deve rimanere fermissima nel diniego di ogni aiuto ad Atene, poiche' "in situazioni di emergenza bisogna tagliare la corda di salvataggio, se anche i soccorritori finiscono per ritrovarsi in pericolo di vita

Portogallo: S&P taglia rating, outlook negativo

Finanzaonline.com - 27.4.10/17:05

Standard & Poor's declassa il rating a lungo termine del Portogallo ad A- da A+ con outlook negativo. Tagliato anche il rating nel breve termine ad A-2 da A-1. Lo riferisce la stessa agenzia in una nota citata da Bloomberg.

FED: AGIRE IN FRETTA, DEFICIT SU LIVELLI INSOSTENIBILI

di WSI - AGI

Se gli Usa non raggiungeranno in tempo la sostenibilita' di bilancio perderanno la vitalita' dell'economia e ridurranno i livelli di vita. Inoltre il rischio di instabilita' economica e finanziaria aumentera'. Bernanke lancia l'allarme.
Il presidente della Federal Reserve Ben Bernanke lancia l'allarme sul livello insostenibile del deficit Usa e invita i parlamentari ad agire per frenarne l'ascesa.

"In assenza di ulteriori azioni politiche - dice Bernanke davanti alla commissione bipartisan del Congresso sulla riforma fiscale - il deficit di bilancio federale si incanalera' a un livello insostenibile".

"La storia - aggiunge - ci insegna che che se non riusciremo a raggiungere in tempo la sostenibilita' di bilancio perderemo la vitalita' dell'economia nazionale, ridurremo i nostri livelli di vita e aumenteremo fortemente il rischio di instabilita' economica e finanziaria".

Indietro